Saturday, January 21, 2012

Writing . . . and why I love it!

When ever I first tell people that I am an English Major, their first response is “Oh, are you going to be a teacher?”  To which I say, “I would end up in jail.”  
I do not believe this is an understatement.  I truly believe that some annoying kids would be murdered if I were their teacher.  I love kids (as long as they are my niece or nephew), and I hate kids who misbehave (unless they are my niece or nephew).  However, that being said, I love to help others learn which is why I work part-time as a tutor for English, History, German, Biology, and Geometry (the bio and geometry is temporary, not exactly my strong points).  It was when I began tutoring that I was getting excited about making of mini lesson plans.  I enjoyed knowing that helping my student get her grades up would make me feel all warm and fuzzy. 
Anyway, back to the title, the reason why I want to be a writer instead of a full-time tutor, or heaven forbid a teacher is because while I can get warm and fuzzy while helping a student, I feel warm and fuzzy all the time when I am writing.  
It is truly everything to me.  There isn’t one day that goes by without my thinking that I will want to write something down.  Of course, writing doesn’t always happen, but it is always in the back of my mind.  Currently, I work as a Technical Editor, and I love the job even if the content is not the most exciting.  I am majoring in English with an emphasis in Professional Writing.  I hope to be an editor of novels.  I think it would be easier for me to edit a novel than a remote control manual.  However, if need be, I would happily take on the remote control.  
In addition to my emphasis, I have two half minors (more like emphasis).  They are Creative Writing and Criminology.  When I tell people this, their first reaction is, “Oh are you going to write Crime Solving novels?”  Oh you little naive person.  That is not all I write, and that is not the reason I have a half-minor in Criminology.  
 I am studying Criminology because when I had my first mock crime scene in a Forensic Class, I did an autopsy on a little piglet.  The crime scene was based off a real crime that had taken place a few years ago.  A little girl, a baby girl, had been killed.  All I could think was, “What if that had been my niece or nephew?”  
After I finish my half-minor, I will have a certificate in Criminology, and then I hope (and plan) to attend the summer CSI academy in Riverside.  I suppose that since writing might be a fickle business, crime will always be rampant.  As my Uncle says, “It is a growing industry.”  And I know it is a little bit cliche to say this, but it is still true, if I could make the streets a little bit safer, I would feel as if I had protected my nieces and nephew, or someone else’s little princess or buddy.  
So there you have it!  That is me in a nutshell.  College student for two-thirds of the year, technical editor and tutor for one-third, and avid writer for the rest of my life!  ;)
Aiden

No comments:

Post a Comment