Sunday, October 7, 2012

Big Decision My Friends

Okay so here it goes.

I don't think I've ever come out and said it, but probably eluded to it.  I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Most people call us LDS or Mormon.  To answer your questions, Jassy and I are LDS, Arika is not.

Yesterday we had our semi-annual General Conference.  All over the world members of our church gather together to hear the words of our prophet and leaders.  It is a very special times since we are told of ways we can become better and how to do so.

For the first session, our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson announced a very historic change.  Typically missionaries are men.  It's almost a rite of passage.  They can leave on their mission anywhere from the age of 19-25.  It is more of a requirement to go, but at the same time, they can still choose to or to not go.  Women can go as well, but their minimum age limit is 21.  That means I would have another year before I could even consider going.

A little background information.  When I was growing up, I always really wanted to go on a mission when I turned 21.  But, when I got to college, I had this surge of feeling.  I didn't want to go on a mission (which was fine), but wanted to finish my degree and start my job as soon as possible.

Anyway, at General Conference, our beloved Prophet stood up and announced that for quite a while now, young men from other countries have been able to leave on their missions when they are 18.  This helps them with school and other activities they wish to participate in.  President Monson announced that since it has worked so well, the minimum age a Young Man can serve has been lowered to the age of 18.  The only requirement is that they complete high school.

Now, here comes the crazy part.  Right when they were announcing the change of age for the young men, I had this overwhelming feeling that they were going to change the age for women.  It was going to go down to 19 and I would serve a mission.

Then the announcement did come.  The age for women had been lowered to 19.
So I guess to tell you in short.  I am going on a mission.  I will finish my semester here and hopefully head out sometime between January 2013 and April 2013.

This means that I will graduate about a year later than I had planned.  It is a little difficult for me to realize that I will be a year behind in schooling, but that is honestly okay.  One year is not that much of a difference when I think about eternity.

I feel overwhelmed by my decision and even though I know it is the right one, I still feel very nervous.  I am worried about leaving my mom for a year and a half.  That is one of the things about missionary work. We pledge to be full-time missionaries.  To be doing the Lord's work full-time, it is important that we don't have any distractions. I am only allowed to call my family on Mother's Day and Christmas.  However, I am allowed to write them all I want, send email once a week, and many other great things.  It is daunting, but I know, with the Lord's help, I can do this.

Jassy and Arika?  This blog will need to be maintained. I know that I won't leave for quite some time, but still.  I expect to come home to a year and a half worth of blogging material.  I can't even tell you how much my heart aches thinking I won't be able to see you for a 18 months.  It is scary, but I want you to understand, that I know the Lord wants me to serve a mission.

I love you two so much!

Have a great day!

Aiden.

1 comment:

  1. Your mom is probably stronger than you think...even though you have taken care of her for the last 19+ years.

    ReplyDelete