Saturday, November 10, 2012

I wanna be a superhero

I do!
The concept of the 'super' human, (or, like my favorite hero family, the bats, not so 'super' as strong willed) has always captivated me, and, when combined with my overactive imagination, many different combinations arise.
As Aiden and Jassy can testify, I have written (or at least formulated) many fanfictions, (one which led to a great plan for superhero day senior year). In those stories, I fit my friends into various mantles, with Aiden always becoming Wonder Woman/Girl, and Jassy always becoming Supergirl, with me finishing the trio as Batgirl (Barbara Gordon, of course!)
But I also set to it to create my own superheroes: the one I put the most thought into building was Jennifer 'Jin' Long, aka Dragonette. The daughter of a masked vigilante and Asian dignitary, and raised by monks, Jin obviously had a lot going for her on combat terms, but the my favorite detail is that I (with Blue's help) found a plausible way for her to breathe fire. She's a biochem major at her university, where she stumbled upon the recipe of a gelatinous ether compound (thank Blue for that one) that, when put in contact with saliva, creates a gas that turns her breath into a non-toxic flammable gas. Then, she created insulated arm guards with a lighting mechanism that ends up landing squarely between her thumb and forefinger, which makes for quite the sight.
Jennifer was by far my favorite, mostly because I had engineered her entire story completely on my own. Others have come and gone: Asteria, daughter of the stars, or Lacy, complete with telepathy, telekinesis, flight and invisibility. But the overall theme remains the same.
I really want to be a superhero.

Arika :)

No comments:

Post a Comment