Monday, November 12, 2012

Fast Car

You've got a fast car
I wanna ticket to anywhere
Maybe we can make deal
Maybe together we can get somewhere
Anyplace is better
Starting from zero got nothing to lose
Maybe we can make something
But me myself I've got nothing to prove

Cuz I remember when we were driving
Driving in your car
Speeds so fast, it felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped round my shoulder
And I, I had a feeling that I belonged
I, I, had a feeling that I could be someone
Be someone
Be someone

You've got a fast car
Is it fast enough that you can fly away?
We've gotta make a decision
Leave tonight or live and die this way

This isn't the entire song, and I strongly suggest listening to the entire thing. It's called "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman, and it holds a certain magical quality. There is another song of the same name, that I'm going to share as well:

I'm in a battle with my heartbeat
The more I struggle, I get deep
I go full throttle down the dark streets
And there is trouble ahead, I get weak
It's like I'm running through a red light
Girl, you know you make me weak
I should be hitting all the brakes like
Hold up, hold up

It isn't like me to get caught up
But when you're running
You're never quite free
I really wasn't out to find love,
But now you've found me and made me all weak
It's like I'm running through a red light
Girl you know you make me weak
I should be hitting all the brakes like
Hold up, hold up

Girl you really turn me on
You know you make my engine run
And there's no turning back
Cuz we've gone so far
I'll drive you like a fast car

Well, I love and hate this song. The message the initial verses gives is so beautiful, and enthralling; he's a loner who is in a personal battle with himself, having fallen in love with a girl who has thrown him for a loop. And that gorgeous message is ruined by the crude chorus, where he states that would like to "drive her like a fast car". What the heck Tiao?

Anyway, there are two wonderful songs you should go listen to.
Arika :)

No comments:

Post a Comment