Friday, July 20, 2012

Let's Be Honest

My semester is over.  I am completely done with classes.  I will hopefully have a high GPA.  I never have to go back to my "Energy In the 21st Century" class ever again.  I passed it with a regular or high 'B' (still haven't gotten grades back yet). 
On Saturday my sister-in-law will help me take my belongings to my new apartment and then we will drive home for a family reunion.  I am scared to death.
I have so much anxiety over going home it's actually kind of ridiculous.  And that, is actually all I'm going to say about the subject. :)
My sister is my alpha reader (the one who says things like, "Okay!  Where is the next chapter Aiden? I need it right now and if you don't give it to me, so help me, I will not room with you come Fall semester."  She is a great encourager. 
But, it was fun because she sent me a text "So the short story you wrote entitled 'Oh, Fairy Tales Are Real' . . . any thoughts on finishing it?"
I had a moment of panic.  I had no idea what she was even talking about.  Take it from the girl who remembers everything she's ever written, that is a scary moment when you can't remember the title of a book that actually sounds awesome.  It's frightening. 
However, after she read me the first little bit I totally remembered the entire thing. I was still a little on edge for why I didn't remember it, but I'm okay now.  A lot of things have happened in my life and I've come to the conclusion that it's okay to not remember some things.  In fact, it might be desirable just so I'm able to do what really matters.

On another note, there are so many things I want to do with my life.  Namely, Criminology (or something in the Criminal Justice Field), Archaeology, Foreign Languages (because nothing spells awesome more than being able to curse someone out in ancient Egyptian), Photography, Astronomy, and many more, but I can't really name everything because we don't have all day.  (Hello! I still need to clean my room spotless before I move out.)
Anyway, I know that writing full time would be, who knew?, a full-time job.  However, I know I can be good at prioritizing.  Let's think back to the times when I wrote a book every two weeks or I wrote two books in two weeks.  And that was with writing only 5,000 words a day.  (By the way, that last scentence was not to be read in a sarcastic tone.  I really don't think writing 5,000 words is that much.)  (not to sound snobby or anything) Keep in mind, I wrote that much every day during my senior year.  I had classes from 7-3, work from 4-7, flute lessons one hour a week, church every week, youth group every week, seminary every day before school, etc. 
How did I do it?  I woke up every day at 4:30, wrote one chapter at least, went to seminary and school, came home at wrote another chapter and then went on with my life.  I loved it.  Yes, I was tired, but not in a way that I couldn't function.  I got at least 6-7 hours of sleep and I never felt more rejuvinated than when I wrote in the morning to write before doing anything else. 
I think that is my key.  I need to write in the morning when I'm able to fully concentrate and just be a writier. 
Anyway, back on topic.  I want to be a full-time writer.  I think becuase of my abilities to prioritize, I would be able to do what I wanted while getting an education to do more of the things I want to do.  Who knows?  I could travel the world while writing a book.  I can be anything I want to be. 

Let me tell you, releasing that knowledge?  It feels pretty great. 

Have a good weekend. 
Aiden.

No comments:

Post a Comment