Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pivitol Moments

I was reading a list of questions to ask your significant other (or yourself) to get to know each other better. As I was reading, and bemoaning my single status, I came across a question that stopped me in my tracks.

"What was the earliest defining moment of your childhood."

I have memories from when I was 2 or 3 years old, but since I was eating ice cream I can't really call those defining moments. Unless we're talking about my ice cream obsession. Then go for it.

Still, I was flipping through my memories like I was in my mind house.

                                                                       GIF Location

Never did I find one (a memory that is) from when I was younger than 10. But I think I found my defining moment.

Background information: I wanted to be an astronaut.  I was going to travel to the Sun. My mom always told me that I could be anything I wanted to be. From a very young age I never suffered from low self esteem. If I wanted to go to the sun I could and I would.

Fast forward to eighth grade guys. I was thirteen and we had to write an essay in English about our biggest dream. Was I still planning on going to the sun? You can bet on it.

Or at least I was until I spoke with my teacher. I raised my hand and asked about going to the sun.

Me: What if our dream isn't realistic right now?
Teacher: What is your dream?
Me:  I want to travel to the sun.
Teacher: Choose something else, you can't do that. No one can go to the sun.
Me: What do you think people said one hundred years ago about people wanting to explore the moon?
Teacher: Choose another topic.


I didn't say anything. I was so embarrassed. But I was also very angry. She was telling me I couldn't have my dream simply because it wasn't realistic at that moment.

                                     (Sorry, I only found this on Pinterest, no location today)

My mom was so furious I think she debated calling the principle. But I knew that I would prove my eighth grade English teacher wrong. And while I might not get to the sun, I would make my dreams come true.

That one moment has made me who I am today.
Absolutely crazy. :)

No, but really, I will reach my dreams, and if not . . . . who am I kidding, I will totally reach them.

Live your dreams. It's totally worth it!

Until next time,

Aiden


No comments:

Post a Comment